PALMERS Brewery have presented our final scheme for the multi-million Three Cups redevelopment in Lyme Regis and named the date for submitting the full planning application.‘Our architects are hard at work finalising the plans with the intention to submit the full planning application by 1 August,’ said Palmers’ property agent, Nigel Jones of Chesters Commercial.
‘The final plans take full account of the views of people living next to the site, as well as feedback from last year’s public consultation and comments from the town council.’
Mr Jones presented the plans to Lyme Regis Town Council on Wednesday 18 June.
‘Councillors and members of the public who attended the meeting were very positive. They recognised that Palmers have worked with the people of Lyme to devise a productive future for the site. The result will conserve the main part of the historic Georgian building and create a top-notch new restaurant with 12 letting rooms, further boosting Lyme’s profile as a quality resort.
‘The plans include some residential apartments and we have already had interest in these from people in the town, who intend to live there full-time,’ he revealed.
If planning permission is granted at the end of the year, work could start on site in autumn 2015 after completing the necessary tenders and preparatory work. The building phase is likely to take 18 months and will be planned so as to cause minimum disruption to the town. Palmers aim to have the scheme open for spring in 2017.
The development is expected to cost £5m and includes:
• Conservation and renovation of the historic Three Cups building fronting on to Broad Street, incorporating a shop on the ground floor.
• Landmark new restaurant with 12 letting rooms in the old car park at the back of the site. Some of the rooms will have wheelchair access.
• Access path through to Langmoor Gardens.
• Nine residential units, necessary to fund some of the cost of the scheme. Some of these will be in the Three Cups building and others in a newly built section at the back.
• Car parking for the apartments.